Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Great Backyard Bird Count


This last weekend I participated in the GBBC a 4 day event hosted by The Cornell Lab of Ornithology and the National Audubon Society that attempts to create a real-time snap shot of birds across the North American continent. Participants must bird for 15 minutes or more while taking a tally of the birds they see in that time and then reporting it on the website. For the event, I drove home to Arlington to lead bird walks at River Legacy Science Center. Unfortunately, the power was out at my parents house and was an uncomfortable 49 degrees in the house all weekend. River Legacy also hosted an event for families and it seemed like everyone had a good time and learned about birds. On Sunday I returned home to Lubbock and then on Monday I got in a few tallies including 2 Harris's Hawks that the website pretty much refuses to accept.

No comments:

Post a Comment